The Nica Report!

The on-line journal of journey to Nicaragua and back — May 2004

4.08.2004

2004 - First Contact

Back in the early 1980's, both my husband Graeme and I were volunteer staff on board the Mercy Ships flagship, The Anastasis. In fact that’s where we met and were later married in July 1985. Here’s a picture of us on our wedding day (just remember that was nearly 19 years ago!).



Graeme served for a total of two years and I for one year.

Around the same time my father retired from 40+ years as a merchant seaman and took a position on the Anastasis as it’s Chief Engineer. He and my mother served together with Mercy Ships for 10 years.

There are many stories I could recount about both my, my husband’s and my parent’s experiences with Mercy Ships. I may at some point post them here, but right now I just want to give you an overview of our association with Mercy Ships.

In a nutshell, “Mercy Ships, a global charity, has operated a growing fleet of hospital ships in developing nations since 1978. Following the example of Jesus, Mercy Ships brings hope and healing to the poor, mobilizing people and resources worldwide.”

You may access their website here. It is also linked in my sidebar to the right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home