The Nica Report!

The on-line journal of journey to Nicaragua and back — May 2004

5.12.2004

2004 - Re-entry

I am now back in California, but I will catch you up on my last day + in Nicaragua.

Sunday morning I awoke with the knowlege I would be leaving the beautiful city of Leon that day. Reluctantly I dragged my suitcases to the vehicle that would be transporting me to Managua.

On our way to Managua, Mike, Maria (staffers from NY), Mom and I took a side trip to Leon Viejo (old Leon). Leon Viejo was the original site of Leon established around 1524. Leon Viejo was abandoned approximately 84 years after its establishment due in part to earthquakes and eruptions of the Momotombo Volcano. The ruins had been covered with volcanic ash and was hidden until the 1960's when excavations began.

Hearing that the ruins had been covered in volcanic ash, I was thinking Pompei - but it wasn't like that at all. Because of the earthquakes, the buildings had toppled leaving only the foundations. Using your imagination, you could figure out the layout of the buildings.



Leaving Leon Viejo we continued south to Managua. We pulled into the Las Mercedes hotel and after a nice lunch in the hotel restaurant, we said our goodbyes.

Once checked into my room I promptly took a shower washing off all the sweat and grim from our trip then taking a nap in air conditioned comfort.

I spent the evening watching TV and knitting - yes knitting! It was actually kind of nice to be doing something that I would normally do at home.

Six a.m. Monday morning found me at the airport waiting for my flight to be called. While hanging out in the airpot lobby, I soon realized I had developed Nicaragua's version on Montezuma's Revenge! Needless to say the flight was very interesting and I was lucky to have an isle seat.

We had a stop over in Houston, Texas, where we went through US customs and then were directed to our gate for the connecting flight to SFO. Once again the airlines did a switch-a-roo with the gates and we had to trudge back the way we had come (eh!).

The flight was an hour late in taking off so I arrived in SF later than anticipated. But at long last we touched down on California soil. I couldn't wipe the silly grin off my face in anticipation of seeing my husband and kids.

How could I relate my Nica experience to my family? Fortunately, they had been reading this Nica-Report and had a run down on what I did, but I was/am still at a loss as to how I could describe the feelings and emotions that shaped my trip and changed my life.

I called in sick to work Tuesday due to the afore-mentioned gastric issues, but showed up today ready to plow through hundreds of emails, etc. During the afternoon, however, I couldn't help but look out the window of my climate-controlled, glass-enclosed tower and think of my time in Nicaragua, shortly passed but already taking on a aura of unreality. I'm already planing my next trip!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home