The Nica Report!

The on-line journal of journey to Nicaragua and back — May 2004

5.03.2004

2004 - Boy, am I going to sleep well tonight!

Today was quite a day! Breakfast was a do-it-yourself affair and then the staff, my mother and I gathered for prayer, sharing and devotions before starting the work day.

Because one of the housekeepers came down with the dreaded Dengue Fever, I was asked to sweep and hose down the front courtyard and colonade. Once that was finished, Michelle, a short-term volunteer (six weeks) from California, and I walked to the post office and then to the supermercado, or supermarket, to pick up a few things.

Leon was a beehive of activity with street vendors selling their wares, school children walking along in their uniforms, and vehicles racing up and down the streets.

The Mercado


After lunch my mother and I walked to the central park and caught the camioneta, or light truck, to Villa Soberana. These trucks are used as public transportation. They have a metal piping structure over the bed of the truck with canvas stretched over (similar to miliary vehicles). Inside are two long bench seats along each side. The camioneta careens around the corner with, what I suppose you could call, a conductor hanging onto the running board along the back. He would be calling out the route so the people would know which camioneta to board. This conductor would also take the fare and make change.

Once Mom and I boarded, we lurched throught the traffic, the driver having one foot on the accelerator and one hand on the horn. At each stop the conductor would let passengers off and on and then let out a shrill whistle and yell, "adelante," or forward signaling the driver to proceed.

My mom especially loves this drive. She likes to sit up front with the wind in her face, much like a dog hanging out the window of a car. I must admit, I had a pretty good time too. At one time we had about 19 people crammed into the back with a couple hanging off the end.

Once we reached Villa Soberana, which is about 2 or 3 miles outside Leon, we began walking up the dirt streets. All of a sudden we heard cries of "Sarita, Sarita" as villagers greeted my mother. These people love my mother and greeted her with open arms as well as I. We were invited in to many of their homes for quick visits. I took several photos and the children especially were intrigued with my digital camera because they could see their photo right away on the screen. Unfortunately, we were short on time and had to return to the city before nightfall.

Three girls of Villa Soberanna


After dinner I had the opportunity to show the 2003 performance of Picture of Jesus, a rock opera written by a very talented musician in our church. The staff enjoyed the performance very much and thanks to Kristi Corbet and Jebby's generosity, I am able to leave the video, as well as the musical CD with the staff members for their video and music library at the base.

It's late now, about 11:30 p.m., the rest of the base is asleep while I stare into this computer monitor.

Go with God - Adios!